Best Super-Automatic Espresso Machines for Your Budget
I’ll admit it…
I’m a set-it-and-forget-it type.
I live for the ever-evolving artificial intelligence era that includes endless iPhone/Android apps, self-checkout machines and Alexa (by the way, Alexa would you please play jazz while I write this article? Thank you…).
Although I never want a device that will land me in a Black Mirror episode, I enjoy the efficiency of the utmost quality.
THAT’S where super-automatic espresso machines come in…
Owning a super-automatic espresso machine is basically like having your own in-house barista. You can get the exact same service without the worry of waiting in line or your name being misspelled on your cup.
If you want the finest of espresso drinks without any of the efforts, a super-automatic machine could be for you.
These high-end machines are capable of brewing coffees, cappuccinos, lattes, macchiatos and more with one simple touch of a button. Some even have their own built-in cleaning and water filtration systems! That means that even if you’re in a rush, you needn’t worry about so much as wiping down your machine until you return home from your duties.
Due to all the bells and whistles, many super-automatic espresso machines tend to be on the pricier side. However, I have searched far and wide to find highest quality super-automatic espresso machines (15 to be exact…), and several of these WON’T break the bank. Take a look below!
For the frugal coffee drinker, the Gaggia Brera can’t be beat. At less than $500 you can have rich Italian espresso at the touch of a button. And a pannarello steam wand creates rich, frothy milk-based beverages. Plus, a removable brew group and easily accessible water tank make cleanup easy.
● Airtight, UV-proof 8.8-ounce hopper keeps allows you to safely store coffee beans
● Ceramic grinder locks in flavor and freshness, so you get consistent quality espresso shots after several extractions
● A bypass doser allows you to skip the grinding process, so you can brew with both whole beans and pre-ground coffee
● Programmable options allow you to customize the aromatic profile of your coffee
● Dimensions: 10 x 15.5 x 11.5 inches
● Weight: 19 lbs.
● Available colors: Silver and black
● Easy to use, maintain and clean
● Hopper and bypass doser allow you to seamlessly go from the whole bean to pre-ground coffee
● Gaggia’s Rapid Steam Technology allows for quick heat-up times, and robust brewing and steaming operations
● The Brera’s self-rinse cycle automatically activates to decrease labor and maintenance time and increase longevity
● Although less pricey, maybe too compact for commercial use
14. KRUPS EA8250 Espresseria Super Automatic Espresso Machine Coffee Maker with Built-in Conical Burr Grinder, 60-Ounce, Black (under $500 Check Price on Amazon.com)
We tested and tasted; we scoured Krups reviews…and in the end…we found that the Krups Espresseria reigned supreme.
Good things really CAN come in small — and inexpensive — packages with the Espresseria from Krups. This compact machine delivers a bevy of delicious coffee drinks, espressos, hot chocolates, and teas. With its conical burr grinder, the flavor is never compromised. AND, a cleaning system ensures that you will never have to clean the heart of the machine.
● A patented thermolock system allows the machine to preheat faster, while also optimizing tamping and temperature
● A largely sealed bean hopper keeps beans fresh from the first cup to the last
● An easy-to-use LCD screen allows you and guests to scroll through several different drink choices and customizations
● Along with an automated cleaning system for the inside of the machine, cleaning accessories are also included with purchase
● Dimensions: 11.5 x 8 x 12.5 inches
● Weight: 10.4 pounds
● Metal conical burr coffee grinder
● Inexpensive, especially considering the quality and innovative systems found in the machine
● High-end technology to automatically clean and preheat without sacrificing too much energy or flavor
● Easy to use
● Compact for personal and home use
● Some customers complained of leakage and messiness
● Does not include all the bells and whistles that come with some other more expensive super-automatic machines
Once again, an espresso machine comes along proving it can be super-automatic and affordable. The Gaggia Anima is a small and mighty machine that is a perfect starter machine for those looking to up their espresso machine game. The Anima comes equipped with a manual frother for milk-based drinks, programmable options and a built-in ceramic burr grinder for maximum freshness.
● An automatic descaling cycle increases the longevity of machine and makes maintenance easy. The cycle runs at set intervals depending on the hardness of the water and the machine will alert you via an LCD display when additional maintenance is required
● The Optiaroma system allows you to choose between 6.5-11.5 grams of coffee, as well as five different strength settings
● Removable drip tray and brew group for easy cleaning
● Dimensions: 16.9 x 8.7 x 13.4 inches
● Weight: 16 lbs.
● Includes measuring spoon, water hardness test strip, cleaning brush and brew group grease
● A super-automatic machine at a semi-automatic price
● Easy cleaning and maintenance
● Ceramic grinder seals in flavor and freshness
● Lacks some of the bells and whistles that come with more expensive machines
12. DeLonghi Perfecta Digital Super-Automatic Espresso Machine with Cappuccino Function (Under $1,000 Check Price on Amazon.com)
With just the single touch of a button, prepare quality lattes and cappuccinos for you and your guests. This premium machine features automated controls, five coffee strengths, and a milk frother so that you can have the perfect drinks for you and your guests at your fingertips.
● Programmability: A comprehensive but easy-to-use LCD menu allows you to customize your drink selections, temperature, milk volume and more
● An automated cleaning system makes cleaning the milk system as easy as the touch of a button
● The Perfecta’s Cup Warming Feature ensures that your espresso and milk-based drinks stay warmer for longer
● The Perfecta also comes with a burr grinder, which is built to last for many years
● Dimensions: 11.2 x 17.3 x 14.9 inches
● Weight: 25.9 lbs.
● Easy to use
● An automated froth feature makes perfect froth for lattes and cappuccinos automatically
● Built to last
● For those who want to try their hand at manual milk frothing, you’re out of luck! The Perfecta ONLY comes equipped with an automated frother
11. Quick Mill Monza Deluxe Super Automatic Espresso Machine (Under $3,000 Check Price on Amazon.com)
Quick Mill reviews tend to be positive across the board, and it’s not difficult to see why.
The Monza packs a monstrous amount of capabilities into a compact super automatic machine. This beast is perfect for commercial use or for the coffee connoisseur that wants to make their kitchen double as their own personal coffee shop.
● An impressive and user-friendly LED screen allows you to access any and everything you would need for a coffee or espresso drink with the simple touch of a button. The LED screen also allows you to program temperature by Fahrenheit or Celsius AND it includes a password protection option
● Built with the highest quality materials (including stainless steel, durable alloy and brass) that is resistant to both rust and stain damage
● It has a built-in Plummer…seriously. The Monza comes equipped with fittings to connect to your home water system if you choose to also purchase a Quick Mill direct connect kit.
● Auto Frother: A built in auto-Frother for milk-based beverages allows you to effortlessly create fluffy cappuccinos, light lattes and rich flat whites. This also ensures easier cleanup.
● Ouch-Free Steaming: Durable stainless steel ensures you won’t get burned when grabbing the steam wand
● Dimensions: 17.5 x 14.2 x 18 inches
● Weight: 52 lbs.
● Has an output capacity of 20 espressos per hour (WOW!)
● This machine is strong and sturdy, I.e. BUILT TO LAST
● Built-in temperature controls prevent overheating
● Program to automatically clean and descale
● Magical milk wand!
● Compact by commercial standards but may prove bulky for home use
10. Saeco HD8964/47 Gran Baristo Espresso Machines (Between $1,300-$2,300 Check Price on Amazon.com)
Many Saeco reviews tout this as the best Saeco machine yet! In our Saeco Gran Baristo reivew, we’ll give you the details on why this machine is so revered among other super-automatic espresso machines.
Whether you are a drip coffee devotee or a crema connoisseur, the Gran Baristo from Saeco has you covered. Saeco went to great lengths to improve their bean-to-cup experience, and one of the main ways they have achieved this is through their innovative VariPresso brewing system.
The VariPresso brewing system caters to all types of coffee drinkers ﹘﹘ from those who enjoy the crème de la crema, to those that just want a strong cup of joe. The VariPresso system gives you the option to use 15 bars for espresso extraction or 3-4 bars quality drip coffee.
● Variable Pressure Extraction: Get espresso or drip coffee just the way you like it
● Reduces waste thanks to water-saving maintenance that actually reduces water waste by 80% AND guards against heat loss
● Patented automatic milk frother gets you any type of froth or microfoam you prefer at the touch of a button
● Ceramic grinders prevent coffee from burning
● Dimensions: 11.4 x 19.4 x 21.9 inches
● Weight: 32.9 pounds
● Material: Boiler is stainless steel-lined aluminum; the case is stainless steel/plastic
● Reduces water waste
● Dishwasher-safe parts make for easy cleaning
● Auto-clean system cleans and descales to decrease the risk of malfunction and increase the longevity of the machine
● A variety of delicious espresso drinks and drip coffee at the touch of a button
● Some consumers have complained that the espresso was not strong enough
Do you like your coffee strong or mild? With the C65, you don’t have to decide. A variety of strength options let you choose exactly the type of caffeine fix you’re looking for.
It wouldn’t be a true Jura C65 review if I didn’t mention that the C65 includes two brew temperature settings known as the Intelligent Pre-Brew Aroma System (I.P.B.A.SⓇ). This system pre-brews the coffee in a way that delivers the richest flavor and optimal crema
● A simple flick of a button can brew a quality cup of coffee and — thanks to the Fine Foam Frother — you don’t need to worry about mastering a frothing technique to have perfect froth and crema each and every time
● The rotary system makes it easy to have an espresso drink under the sun with just a flick of the wrist
● The C65’s hot water feature ensures you get quality teas and hot chocolates when you’re not in a coffee mood
● Dimensions: 16.1 x 11 x 13.6 inches
● Weight: 22 lbs.
● Delectable coffee with optimal crema thanks to an intelligent pre-brewing system
● Easy to operate and customize drinks
● Fine Foam Frother makes it easy to make beautiful cappuccinos and lattes
● Aroma+ Grinder
● Rinse cycle can be seen as too aggressive
8. Jura-Capresso 13187 Impressa E8 Super-Automatic Espresso Machine, Black (Under $2,000 Check Price on Amazon.com)
Want to go to a cafe? Why not bring a cafe experience home with you? The Jura E8 has the strength and the technology to deliver a coffeehouse experience with ZERO travel time.
The E8 comes equipped with Jura’s most exclusive technologies, but its price tag is more than $1,000 less than some of the company’s newer models. These features include:
● Pulsating technology that delivers barista-quality espresso shots
● Intelligent Water System (known as I.W.S.Ⓡ) is programmed to alert you when your water filter needs to be replaced, cutting down on labor time
● Cleaning the machine is easy as can be!
● The P.E.P. system ensures that each espresso shot in rich, flavorful and of the highest quality
● I.W.S. makes maintenance easy and ensures that your machine’s longevity won’t suffer from a buildup of calcium deposits and other harmful substances
● The E8 cuts your cleaning time down to seconds — milliseconds, even! An automated system cleans the milk frothing wand so that you don’t have to. And a complimentary solution is included with your purchase for when you need to deep clean the machine
● Number of grinders: 1
● Uses CLEARYL Smart water filters
● 15 bars
● Espresso shots that rival those of high-end cafes
● Easy cleanup
● A bevy of drink options to suit your mood
● If you are in a large household or office building, this machine may not be for you. The E8 is best for personal use of small households
● If you want milk that is hotter than the Sahara, this machine may not meet your needs
Look up any Jura Z6 review, and you’ll see that this machine has been revered in the coffee community.
The Jura Z6 succeeds in delivering a bevy of specialty espresso drinks without any fuss. Using Jura’s latest brewing technology, the Z6 delivers barista-quality beverages with the simple touch of a button. The Z6 also includes a cutting-edge milk system that allows you to further customize your drink by controlling milk temperature and froth.
A smart water filtration system and automated cleaning adds extra convenience, so that you can sip more and stress less.
● Aroma G3 Grinder: The Jura Z6 appeals to those coffee drinkers with fine tastes. Like P.E.P., the G3 Grinder gives baristas a run for their money. Conical steel burrs are this grinder’s secret weapon in cutting beans quickly and quietly. The result of this technology is 60% less residual grinds — that means more flavor and less cleanup
● Jura’s TFT display makes brewing virtually any type of coffee or milk-based espresso drink as easy as the touch of a button — literally…
● The Z6 makes optimizing your milk foam easier than ever, thanks to automated systems and nozzle technology that switches from milk to milk foam INSTANTLY
● Perfect espresso shots every time thanks to the P.E.P. system
● Automatic cleaning systems that leave you with little worry or hassle and also protect the functionality and longevity of the machine
● Built-in drink options that allow you to brew a variety of specialty drinks with one touch
● Milk system gives you control over temperature and froth
● There isn’t a milk carafe available to store leftover milk for later
● Rinse cycle can be seen as too aggressive
When it comes to a Jura J90 review, compliments aren’t hard to come by.
Not to be vain, but this machine is a pretty, PRETTY princess (or Prince…or knight…or queen, or…really whatever you prefer…) made of chrome.
Aside from its looks, the J90 uses all of Jura’s latest technology (P.E.P., I.W.F. and the like) and throws in some other enhancements to make it well worth the price tag.
● Prepares PERFECT drinks, ranging from ristrettos to macchiatos and EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN with the touch of a button
● Automated cleaning systems that include an automatic rinse cycle for the milk frothing wand
● A Zero-Energy switch completely disconnects the machine from the main water supply, which makes for a smaller carbon footprint for the earth and a smaller energy bill for you!
● Dimensions: 9.1 x 9.1 x 9.1 inches
● Weight: 34.4 lbs.
● Very easy to use
● Program pretty much any drink under the sun
● Beautiful design and built-in cleaning mechanisms help prevent malfunction and increase longevity
● For baristas-in-training, the auto frothing feature takes the fun out of creating the perfect foam manually
Of all our complimentary Jura reviews, the Jura Giga 5 may be the most revered. Let’s make one point known:
Is. NOT. Cheap.
It’s very expensive, but for good reason!
The Giga 5 comes in two different colors (Ooh la la), comes with 18 programmable drink options, and so…SO MUCH MORE. This gorgeous machine will arrive at your doorstep with the capacity to brew two different drinks simultaneously at twice the rate of comparable machines.
● Double time! Have you ever wanted to brew a delectable cappuccino and a strong latte (or really ANY TWO TYPES OF ESPRESSO drinks) at the same time?? With the Giga 5’s two-pump system, you can
● Dump it: a high-capacity dump box holds up to 20 espresso picks, significantly cutting down on dumping time (one less step #FTW)
● Two grinders and hoppers mean that your beans will grind quickly and quietly
● Everything you want: Get virtually any drink, anytime, and any way you want it
● Two ceramic disc grinders ensure that your brew power is strong, but NOT loud. So for all you late night coffee drinkers, you can brew away without worry about waking up any early birds in your household
● With an innovative menu, you can become a barista AND a bartender. Twelve imaginative drink specialties are available, including Irish coffee, Shakerato and more!
The Saeco PicoBaristo Espresso Machine is big on quality and low on maintenance. It comes equipped with several dishwasher-safe components and an innovative AquaClean filter. The AquaClean filter is a sensor-equipped filter that eliminates the need to descale for 5,000 cups of coffee! And there’s much more innovative technology where that came from…
● Caffe Crema Button: Ah, how sweet it is! The PicoBaristo’s Caffe Crema button delivers sweet caffe crema with just one touch. For those who are unaware, a caffe crema is a long espresso drink that tastes similar to drip coffee, with sweeter undertones
● Ten different grinder settings allow you to customize the coffee’s richness to your liking
● Tons of menu options allow you to easily make anything from an Americano to a flat white
● A removable brew group makes cleaning and maintenance even easier
● Dimensions: 19.5 x 11 x 18 inches
● Weight: 20 lbs.
● Material: Stainless steel-lined aluminum boiler; stainless steel/plastic case
● Easy cleaning and maintenance
● Customizable, broad menu for any drink under the sun
● Includes both automatic frothing via a cappuccinatore attachment or a panarello-style wand for manual steaming
● Some consumers complained that the adjustable grinder was difficult to adjust
● The extra height is required for bean hopper and reservoir, meaning it may not fit well in some counter spaces
Like the Giga 5, the Exprelia is able to deliver strong coffee and espresso drinks without making a lot of noise. For those like me who look for products that can basically do everything for (minus your dishes and laundry), this is the automatic espresso machine for you! With the Saeco Exprelia, you can have robust coffee as well as espresso drinks of artisanal quality with absolutely NO effort.
And thanks to an automated cleaning system, you can rush out the door without even worrying about so much as a wipe down.
● An automatic cleaning cycle cuts down on maintenance time. And a removable milk carafe cuts down on measuring time — if you have leftover milk, simply place the carafe in your fridge and save it for next time! But wait…THERE’S MORE! The machine also comes equipped with a removable water tank, for easy cleaning and refilling
● If you have time to get in touch with your inner barista, the Sauca Exprelia does have a traditional steam wand to offer a break from automatic everything.
● Aroma System: Coffee connoisseurs understand that taste is only one element of a good espresso. Quality espresso ignites ALL the senses. Saeco Exprelia’s Aroma System allows you to prepare the aromatic profile of your coffee each and every time to suit your needs.
● Dimensions: 14 x 9.5 x 16.5 inches
● Weight: 31 lbs.
● Material: Plastic
It’s an age-old argument between spouses. He likes his coffee drinks light and airy, while you like yours to have a robust, peppery profile.
Both of you are rushing out the door to work, and — with limited time — how do you decide whose espresso cuisine will reign supreme?
With the Miele 6310, you don’t have to choose. The OneTouch for Two programs allows you to make two completely different drinks at the EXACT SAME TIME with just ONE TOUCH of a button. Easy peasy!
But the benefits don’t end there. Take a look below for the bevy of features that make the espresso machine a top choice.
● As far as frothing goes, this machine hits each and every mark TO THE MAX. The Miele 6310 comes with its very own frothing container, which is ideal for steaming up the perfect milk (and froth) for milk-based espresso drinks and hot chocolates. I personally love using this container for treating my guests to a bevy of peppermint hot chocolates during the holidays.
● The OneTouch for Two program is great both for you and your S.O., as well as guests with varying coffee tastes.
● Dishwasher Safe: With so many innovative super-automatics on the market today, it is odd that few have components that are dishwasher safe. Luckily, a majority of the parts in this machine can be plopped into the dishwasher.
● Dimensions: 20 x 15 x 20 inches
● Weight: 20 lbs
● Material: Plastic
● Customize drinks any way
● Can use both beans and ground coffee
● Not as pretty as comparable machines. Although we’re not about judging a book by its cover, the Miele 6310’s aesthetics could use some work
Looking for a looker? With a name like “Prima Donna,” you can probably guess that this machine from DeLonghi is quite easy on the eyes. And in this case, you actually can judge a book by its cover, because the Prima Donna delivers when it comes to quality and ease of use.
● The Prima Donna doubles as a mind reader thanks to a memory function. The memory function allows you to save preferred setting so that you can have a fully customized drink whenever you want it. You also don’t have to worry about with the Prima Donna
● Cleaning is also made easy with the Prima Donna. A removable water tank and patented brewing system with thermoblock technology provides excellent heat distribution and it’s removable for easy cleaning
● Removable Milk Carafe: The removable milk carafe is designed so that you can refrigerate leftover milk rather than waste it
● Dimensions: 9.4 x 17.4 x 13.6 inches
● Weight: 26.5 lbs.
● Material: Stainless steel-lined aluminum boiler; stainless steel/plastic case
● The machine’s abilities make it great for office and commercial use, but the compact design also makes the Prima Donna a great fixture for any home
● Brews quietly to ensure you can pull a late night without disrupting anyone else’s sleep
● Ability to choose from five different coffee strengths and a bevy of programmable options
● Delivers quality espresso quickly and easily
● Built-in aroma preservation cover keeps beans fresher longer
● Equipped with an energy-saving mode to lower bills and reduce carbon footprint
● Easy to use while also giving you hands-on opportunities to make you feel like a professional barista
● Purge function allows for optimal espresso extraction time
● Removable water tank with handle for easy filling and cleaning
● Milk Management System: The Milk Management System delivers perfectly steamed or frothed milk into your cup based on your drink selection.
● 15-bar pump and two stainless steel boilers.
● Accademia also has a removable brew group for easy cleaning and maintenance